- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
A fantastic side dish for a winter roast dinner or for your Christmas feast. Very easy to make and tasty enough to convert all the sprouts haters.
3 people made this
- 500g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 100g wholemeal crackers, crushed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 50g butter, melted
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:15min ›Ready in:25min
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil over a high heat. then add the sprouts and cook for 7 to 10 minutes until tender. Drain.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the cooked sprouts, cracker crumbs, salt, pepper and butter and mix well. Transfer to an ovenproof casserole dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve hot.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(1)
Perfect Brussels Sprouts by America’s test kitchen Recipe
If you go to any restaurant today, it is almost impossible not to find Brussels sprouts on the menu. They’re available either as a main dish or a side dish. And they have become the new rock star in restaurants that also serve veggies. Brussels sprouts are usually delicious and this is the main reason why they have become so popular among vegetarians. As such, they are a pricey dish.
But you can prepare them in minutes from your kitchen space. And to pull this off, you will need a recipe. You can use this Brussels sprouts America’s test kitchen recipe to cook delicious veggies for your guests at a dinner party. So, be sure to read on for more information.
How To Cook Brussels Sprouts In The Oven
This delicious roasted brussels sprouts recipe takes just 10 minutes to prep, and the rest of the time is hands-off:
- Prep baking sheets. Line an extra large baking sheet (or two small ones) with parchment paper or foil.
TIP: Foil or a bare pan does produce slightly more browned brussels sprouts. However, I often opt for parchment paper for easier cleanup and to avoid having foil touch my food. It’s up to you!
- Prep brussels sprouts. Slice the sprouts in half lengthwise, then toss them in olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
TIP: Make sure each sprout is touching the pan – this is the trick to crispy brussels sprouts!
- Roast. Roast brussels sprouts in the oven, tossing halfway through, until browned and slightly charred. (Recommended time is on the recipe card below!)
TIP: For extra dark crispy brussels sprouts, pop them under the broiler at the end.
Creamy Baked Brussel Sprouts Recipe
Creamy Baked Brussel Sprouts Recipe: this EASY low carb vegetable side dish is so loaded with flavor it’s going to be your new favorite way to eat Brussel Sprouts!
- 3 cups Brussel sprouts, bottoms removed and halved
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese (or asiago)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter a cast iron skillet or a small casserole dish (like a 9×9), set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into prepared skillet/casserole dish.
- Optional: You can sprinkle a little extra of both cheeses on top if you like it extra, extra cheesy!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, till bubbly and edges are browned.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and serve!
I am an Amazon affiliate member and I earn a small percentage from qualifying purchases. Thank you!
How to make baked Brussels sprouts in a cast iron pan:
Start by preheating the oven to 350F.
In a skillet over medium heat, cook the chopped bacon to your desired preference.
Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
Add the diced onions and Brussels sprouts to the hot bacon and cook for 4-5 minutes, until onions are translucent and Brussels sprouts are brown. Stir occasionally.
Heat the milk in a microwave for 25 seconds, then whisk in the cornstarch.
Stir the warmed milk mixture into the Brussels sprouts. Heat for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Turn off the heat and sprinkle both cheeses and the bacon onto the Brussels sprouts.
Place in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until cheeses are melted.
One thing to remember is that you need to use an oven safe skillet. If you aren't using cast iron like I did, be sure to check that you can put your skillet into the oven!
Roasting Brussel Sprouts
- Pick firm, tightly bound sprouts. Skip wilted ones that are loose.
- Choose green ones with some yellow ones. Skip ones that are going brown along the edges. Brown leaves may be torn off but skip buying any that are generally this color.
- Cut any stubs off the bottom of the sprout. Remove any tough yellow leaves.
- Cut the vegetable in half. This helps it to evenly cook. Roasting a whole brussels sprout can leave the center of it mushy and overcooked. Aim to undercook them where they result in a mild crunch.
- Rinse and dry well. Rinse under cold water. Place a large bathroom towel on the countertop folded in half. Place washed brussels sprouts between the layers and pat dry. Very well dried brussels sprouts will result in crispy bottoms. If they are wet, they will steam resulting in a different texture.
- Space sprouts cut side down about 2-inches apart. This will ensure the sprouts roast to a crisp.
- Roast in the oven at 400°F for 18 minutes. Bottoms should be crispy and dark. The center of the sprouts should be tender but not too soft or you run the risk of them being soggy. Traditionally, sprouts with a little bite that may appear undercooked are much more preferred than overcooked.
Brussels Sprouts Ingredients:
- Crack Brussels Sprouts use olive oil and seasoning.
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS: 1½ lbs fresh brussels sprouts or 48 ounces.
- OIL: Oil is a traditional ingredient used to roast vegetables. It also helps the dry rub seasoning to adhere to it while it bakes.
- SALT: Adds deep flavor to this vegetable.
- RANCH SEASONING POWDER: My secret ingredient used to transform plain vegetables into delicious savory vegetables. Trust me, your kids will gobble every morsel up!
- FRESH LEMON: A little citrus goes a long way and lemon helps to bring out the flavors even more.
- PARMESAN CHEESE: I love cheese. Especially salty parmesan cheese. Use the stuff from the green can or use grated cheese.
- ALMONDS: Add a nice crunchy texture and nutty flavor. Toasted in the oven the last 5-minutes.
Brussels Sprouts Tips and Questions
- What do roasted brussels sprouts taste like? I find the taste very similar to steamed or roasted broccoli but the flavor is deeply more complex. Roasting the brussels sprouts correctly yields vegetables that are crispy on the outside without overcooking the centers.
- Where can I find brussels sprouts? Find them near the fresh produce at your local grocery store. They may come in a large bin that needs bagging or pre-packaged. Brussels sprouts are typically available year-round with the peak season between September and February.
CRISPY ROASTED TIPS:
- Why didn’t my brussels sprouts get crispy? It is possible that the pan was too overcrowded. Overcrowding a pan prohibits air to circulate and instead, result in vegetables steaming. For more on this, see the caramelization step below.
- CARAMELIZATION: Cut the brussels sprouts in half then toss them in the oil mixture. Place the sprouts cut side down on the pan about 1½ -2 inches apart. TIP: Don’t overcrowd the pan as this will result in vegetables that steam. The key trick is to give them enough space on the pan to allow air to circulate and crisp it.
- EXTRA CRISPY: To get sprouts even more crispy, take the pan out of the oven and flip the sprouts over so the cut side is facing up. Turn the oven to high broil and broil tops to the desired texture. They
- TOASTED ALMONDS: Almonds should be rubbed in any remaining seasoned oil then added to the oven the last 5-minutes of baking. They tend to roast pretty quickly, so keep on eye on them and remove them from the oven before they burn.
HOW TO SERVE BRUSSELS SPROUTS:
Brussels sprouts have a bad reputation due to decades of misinformation. For decades, this simple vegetable had a reputation of tasting bitter while it turns out it was being cooked the wrong way the entire time! Now, this superfood is a prominent vegetable at the dinner table once again. Pan-roasted brussels sprouts are a popular side dish vegetable for holidays. It can be served in a salad as an appetizer or as a quick side dish to your family’s meal.
- Main course recipes to serve easy roasted brussels sprouts with include: classic Crock Pot Glazed Brown Sugar Ham with Pineapple, Juicy Roast Turkey, Asian-Style Baby Back Ribs, Slow Cooker Turkey Breast, Instant Pot Whole Rotisserie Chicken, Creole Jambalaya, Garlic Parmesan Roasted Spaghetti Squash, Chicken Lettuce Cups.
- Serve as a side dish for holidays along withInstant Pot Creamy Mashed Potatoes, Classic Ambrosia Salad, Italian Pasta Salad, Creamy Cranberry Fluff Salad, Sweet Cornbread, Cherry Fluff Salad, Loaded Ranch Potato Salad, BLT Pasta Salad, Easy Creamed Corn, and Cranberry Relish.
If you like this Roasted Brussels Sprouts recipe, try these GARLIC BUTTER BRUSSELS SPROUTS next or my Crack Asparagus recipe.
Yes! I have made this recipe several times with both fresh and frozen brussels sprouts, just depending on which one I happen to have on hand. I do think that the fresh brussels sprouts turn out quite a bit crispier, but the frozen brussels sprouts are still just as tasty, and obviously more convenient with less prep involved.
Change It Up
This recipe is quite versatile! I’d suggest making it as-is the first time, and then you can play around with these ideas.
- You can easily change up this recipe by choosing to use different vegetables (broccoli and bell pepper were fantastic in my cookbook recipe).
- You could also drizzle the recipe with peanut sauce instead of the honey-sesame glaze.
- Or, increase the sprouts to 2 pounds, omit the tofu and rice, and you’ll have an irresistible Brussels sprout side dish (better yet, follow my Kung Pao Brussels sprouts recipe).
Please let me know how the recipe turns out for you in the comments! I’m always so happy to hear from you.
How to roast Brussels sprouts
It's so easy! Scroll down to the recipe card for the detailed instructions. Here are the basic steps:
1. Mix the sprouts with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
2. Roast them for 15 minutes at 425°F.
3. Gently stir, then keep roasting until tender, about 10 more minutes.
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Sea salt and freshly ground white pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread the Brussels sprouts out on a baking sheet and drizzle them with the olive oil. Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes to desired crispiness.
Remove from the oven and transfer to a large bowl. Top with the remaining ingredients, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and toss to combine. Serve warm.