- Dish type
- Strawberry jam
There's nothing better than homemade strawberry jam. The only difference is that this strawberry jam contains a little kick from added chilli and ginger.
25 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 500 ml
- 300g strawberries, chopped
- 250ml sweet red wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh root ginger
- 220g dark brown soft sugar
- 1 (7.5cm) cinnamon stick
- 1 green chilli
- 1 pinch crushed chillies
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:1hr ›Extra time:10min soaking › Ready in:1hr20min
- Soak the strawberries in red wine for 10 minutes, then transfer to a heavy saucepan. Bring to the boil over medium heat. As soon as it starts to boil, add the ginger, dark brown soft sugar, cinnamon stick, chilli, crushed chillies, apple cider vinegar and salt. Boil over medium heat, stirring every 10 minutes, until the jam thickens.
- Remove the green chilli and cinnamon stick from the jam. Ladle into clean 250ml jars, wipe rims with a clean cloth or kitchen towel and seal with new lids. Store in the refrigerator.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(14)
Reviews in English (10)
This is a really good jam with an Indian twist. Just be careful while boiling it -- it shouldn't get too hard sticky. Take it off the flame before it thickens too much.-13 Apr 2005
This is a really nice recipe. I think it needs some preservative if you want to keep it for months, but i kept it in my fridge and it stayed fine for two months.-28 Sep 2005