- Dish type
- Fruit desserts
- Berry desserts
- Strawberry desserts
Crisp meringues are filled with vanilla ice cream and served with strawberries. You can fill these meringue nests with whipped cream or any flavour of ice cream you prefer.
7 people made this
IngredientsMakes: 8 meringues
- 125ml egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 400g caster sugar
- 2 litres vanilla ice cream
- 285g strawberries, hulled and sliced
MethodPrep:5min ›Cook:1hr30min ›Extra time:1hr drying › Ready in:2hr35min
- Preheat oven to 150 C / Gas 2. Butter a large baking tray.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Blend in vinegar and vanilla. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. With a large spoon, drop meringue in 8 clumps (about 10cm diameter), close together on baking tray. Indent the centre of each clump with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and let nests cool in the oven, about 1 hour.
- To serve: Fill each nest with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and smother with strawberries.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(9)
Reviews in English (9)
This was really good. Reminds me of the one's my mom used to make. Be careful and don't cook too long. Mine looked okay on the outside but were brown on the inside. Will definitely make again. Thanks for the recipe.-31 Jul 2003
I bake mine at 150 degrees F for about 1 and 1/2 hours then shutoff the oven with them still inside ... about another hour. They turn out just perfect. Also make sure it is not humid ... need low humidity or they will be the pancake version.-09 Mar 2009
by Jill Klug
Not sure about the 1 1/2 hour cooking time. I doubled the recipe and cooked mine about 45 min. and they were still overdone. Next time I think I'll try 30 min. Otherwise very easy to make.-14 Apr 2008