- Dish type
- Side dish
- Vegetable side dishes
Thick and meaty portabello mushrooms are sauteed with spinach, then simmerd with red wine and topped with Parmesan cheese. An excellent side dish with any meal.
266 people made this
- 45g butter
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, sliced
- 285g frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:10min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:20min
- Melt butter in a large frying pan or saute pan over medium heat. Saute mushrooms, spinach, basil, salt, pepper and garlic until mushrooms are tender and spinach is heated through.
- Pour in wine and reduce heat to low; simmer 1 minute. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(313)
Reviews in English (227)
This was sooo good. I held back a star only because I made a few critical changes to the recipe that affected the flavor in the positive. First, I didn't use basil. I really didn't think it was a flavor combo that my family would appreciate. Also, since we don't like wine (not even for cooking), I used 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of beef broth. I also added an extra clove of garlic (of course). The result was a fantastic side to our main dish and will definitely be added to our rotation!-26 May 2007
by SARA W.
Absolutely delicious! After reading others' reviews, I made a few changes: I used 2 bags of fresh baby spinach instead of frozen, 1/2 tsp each basil and pepper, and 2 cloves garlic. I also used white rather than red wine (personal preference!). This is an elegant, easy side dish, but it does need to go straight from the stove to the table. Fortunately it only takes a few minutes to make, so I cook it just before the other dishes are done. Thanks Leslie!-19 Oct 2004
LOVE spinach. LOVE portobello mushrooms. Did not like this dish. I used fresh spinach and it looked beautiful, but both the basil and the red wine gave it an unpleasant taste. I hate to waste food, so I reluctantly ate my portion--hubby could not do the same...-09 Dec 2008