- Meat and poultry
This recipe is an easy way to bring Japanese flavours to your table with ease. Serve with rice for a complete meal.
13 people made this
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 12 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 24 spears fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 8 thinly sliced top round or flank steaks
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 bunch spring onions, green parts only
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:5min ›Ready in:20min
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, cover and allow them to sweat over low heat until soft. Do not let them brown.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot or frying pan of water to the boil. Dunk the asparagus into the boiling water, then place into ice water to stop the cooking. Set aside.
- Preheat the grill. Grease a baking tray.
- To construct the rolls, lay the steaks out flat. If your steaks are thick, pound them to about 5mm thickness. Brush soy sauce onto the surface, then place a few mushrooms, a couple of spring onions and 3 asparagus spears at one end of each steak. Roll up towards the other end to enclose, and secure each bundle with a skewer. Place the rolls seam side down on the tray.
- Roast under the preheated grill until browned on top, about 3 minutes. Turn the rolls over and brown on the other side, 2 to 3 more minutes. Be careful not to over cook, this could burn the steaks or make them tough to eat.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(13)
Reviews in English (10)
Very, very good. Next time I'll take care to pound the meat down thinner. The beef does need a little more flavor; I dipped mine in extra soy sauce. Garlic, maybe? Sesame? I'll have to experiment, but I'll definitely be making it again. So quick and easy and healthy, and quite delicious!-16 May 2009
My brother dislikes mushrooms very much as well as asparagus that is not cooked by him. We both loved this dish. The soy sauce and onions bring out the true flavor of the beef and there is a very slight hint of asparagus (I used 4 pieces of asparagus per each instead of the recommended 3, so this is probably why). Overall, this gets an A from me as it is fast to cook, easy to prepare - after the first time - easy to remember, and extremely filling.-15 May 2009
This was good and I would make it again. Be careful not to roll the beef too thickly; I did this by mistake and the outside was done and the middle was completely raw. I had to bake in the oven for some extra time to get the middle cooked. I added some garlic powder for some additional flavor and that worked out well for me.-18 Jan 2011