- Meat and poultry
- Beef mince
For this deliciously different dish, houmous is layered with pitta pieces, toasted pine nuts, seasoned mince, lemon juice and parsley. This is a common dish in Arab homes, and soon to be in yours!
34 people made this
- 450g minced beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 70g pine nuts
- 800g houmous
- 3 pitta breads
- 1 pinch paprika, for garnish
- 25g chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
MethodPrep:15min ›Cook:10min ›Ready in:25min
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, combine the minced beef and onions. Cook, stirring frequently, until meat is no longer pink and onion is transparent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain fat. Season with allspice, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Stir in the pine nuts to coat with oil. Continue stirring until the nuts turn golden brown, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
- Assemble by spreading half of the houmous over the bottom of a 20x30cm baking dish. Tear the pitta breads into pieces and layer these over the houmous. Spoon the remaining houmous evenly over the bread, then top with pine nuts. Sprinkle with paprika, half the parsley and drizzle with lemon juice. Top with minced beef mixture and remaining parsley, and serve.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(36)
Reviews in English (30)
I just made this for dinner and it was lovely! So easy to make, as well. I love houmous, and this is a nice way to do something different than simply using it as a dip. Recommended!-01 Jul 2010
Really nice! It would be great for a salad/appetizer style party. I used about 1.75 lbs ground turkey and added a few garlic cloves to the onions. The allspice is great but definitely needs more - and that's after I added extra from the start! Pine nuts toast very nicely on the stove with no oil (they release their own natural oil). I made my own hummus and only used about 1.5 cups. Layered: hummus, pita, meat, pita, hummus, meat, pine nuts, parsley, paprika, lemon juice. Refrigerate leftovers and heat them up the next day - tastes just as good if not better! ~UPDATE~: after years of making this (to absolute rave reviews), I have changed the layering structure: hummus, meat, pita, hummus, meat, pine nuts. With only one layer of pita, it is a bit lighter. We LOVE this dish!-12 Jan 2011
Excellent recipe. I followed the directions, except I added some garlic and cumin to the ground beef. I also toasted the pita breads into small chips or croutons. I served this with the Arab lentil and rice dish called "Mujadarrah", also from this website. Great combination! I will make this one again.-10 Apr 2011