- Dish type
- Vanilla cheesecake
This is a decadent cheesecake flavoured with real vanilla bean. The lemon and orange zest help to lift the flavours, but don't lend a powerful citrus taste. This is an arduous cheesecake recipe, but well worth the effort!
9 people made this
- 125g plain flour
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 110g unsalted butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 1/2 (200g) tubs cream cheese, softened
- 350g caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 vanilla bean
- 5 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons double cream
MethodPrep:1hr ›Cook:1hr25min ›Extra time:3hr chilling › Ready in:5hr25min
- In a large bowl, combine 125g flour, 4 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon zest and 1 teaspoon orange zest. Split a 2.5cm piece of vanilla bean; scrape seeds into flour mixture. Rub in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Add 1 egg yolk; stir until all flour is moistened. Gather dough into ball, wrap in greaseproof paper, and refrigerate for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Lightly butter a 23cm springform cake tin. Roll dough on lightly floured surface to 3mm thick; trim to a 25cm circle. Reserve pastry trimmings. Press pastry circle into bottom and 1cm up sides of tin. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 6. Bake base for 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, 350g sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest in large mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. Split a 2.5cm piece of vanilla bean and scrape seeds into cream cheese mixture. Beat in 5 eggs and 2 egg yolks, 1 at a time, on medium speed. Stir in cream.
- Increase oven temperature 260 C / Gas 10. Roll out reserved pastry trimmings on lightly floured board; cut into strips 5cm wide. Pat strips up side of tin, pressing dough lightly to baked base. Pour filling into tin. Bake 15 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 100 C / Gas 1/4. DO NOT OPEN OVEN DOOR! Bake until cheesecake is firm in centre, about 50 minutes. Turn off oven; leave cheesecake in oven with door slightly open for 1 hour. Remove from oven, and cool completely on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 2 hours.
For more easy tips on how to make a perfect cheesecake, check out our Perfect cheesecake tips how-to guide.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(9)
Reviews in English (9)
This cheesecake is delicious. I only gave it 4 stars because 500 degrees for 15 minutesmade the top of the cheesecake very brown, almost burnt. I had to cover the top with foil. Next time I'll try it at 400 degrees. Also I didn't bother with the pastry trimmings as stated in step 5, I used almost all of it in step one.This makes it much easier.-21 May 2005
This recipie was great!!! Using a graham cracker crust rather that the one given is great also! a little less citrus zest as well 1 tsp is all! But iver all delicious!!-09 Jun 2002